March Madness: its not all about basketball

3.24.2008

March 22nd. For most of you just another day on the calendar, but for those of you connected to the Boggess clan, you know it as Ronnie, Beth, Mary-Michal, and Sophie's birthdays....Crazy but true. This year Sophie and I's birthday found itself squeezed into a unique place on the calendar. I'm told that this won't happen again until somewhere around 2160 a.d., when I hope to no longer be celebrating birthdays, but this year March 22nd landed between Good Friday and Easter Sunday. As if this weren't enough, the major holiday in our part of the world, Novruz (a celebration of the new year as marked by the advent of Spring), lands on the 19th-21st.

In other words, holiday insanity.

We celebrated Novruz "officially" on the 20th with some great local friends. This consisted of stuffing ourselves beyond comfort, pressing on linguistically to communicate at a decent level, stuffing ourselves again beyond reason this time, and finally toddling home having been pressed by our hosts to just stay just a bit longer...our car couldn't have carried us home if we'd eaten one more piece of paxlava...but if we'd had one more cup of tea, perhaps we could have just floated home!

Good Friday found us coloring eggs, working through the Resurrection Eggs and talking about all that this day means to us. This was Annie's first year to really begin to grasp some of what the holiday is about. It was beautiful to have the girls interact about the Resurrection Eggs and to see the click of understanding glimmer in their eyes as they began to get an idea of what was done for us on the cross.

The big day came. John and I awoke to the patter of little footsteps in the living room, accompanied by the rustle of papers. We emerged from our bedroom, crusty-eyed, wild-haired, and still a bit muddle-headed (it was 7AM after all) to find Sophie dressed and signs placed strategically through out the room...where to put the presents and where to put ourselves. She had it all worked out. I love 7.

Ben in his assigned seat, eating a banana.


The birthday girl with her presents sent from 'round the world. (Note: "Precents" sign...again, I love 7).

Annie not quite clear on the fact that this day isn't all about her. (OK, so I love 4, too)


Sophie with her beloved "Kit" doll. Thanks, Georgia! (One more reason to love 7, the skinned elbows)


Realizing that the box held doll clothes hand-me-downs from Allie (thanks, Al, for giving me a reason to love 13). Thrilled would be an understatement.


Since it was my birthday, too, and since I had already baked and decorated a cake the week previous, John and the girls agreed to decorate the cake, if I would bake it and make the icing. I think Annie got more icing in her mouth than on the cake, but this picture is worth it.


We saved our cake for Easter Sunday lunch, when we had guests in after church. Note the icing on the cake...I ended up doing it after all, when Sophie exploded over her own "imperfect" attempt. Was I ever as hard on myself? Certainly not until I hit adulthood!


Sophie cracking us up, as usual.


The Cook family minus a sleeping Ben.

Sure, we may get to sleep in more when she hits junior high, but for now we are treasuring 7, even at 7 AM!








0 comments: