On with Tradition

2.05.2008




I can remember when Sophie was a baby and we were living in my sister's basement apartment....I'd hear a soft tap at the door separating their home from ours, and then a sweet little face would peek in and ask if she could come visit "Sophie Grayce". That sweet little face, then 5, now almost 11, belonged to my niece, Mary Michal. I can still remember her, perched on the edge of a seat way-to-big for her little frame, opening her mouth (as we all do when feeding babies, as if the act itself is contagious) and feeding Soph a mixture of rice, sweet potato and apple. I also remember the delight of Sophie to have someone new taking on this (to her) mundane task...she never enjoyed eating like her younger siblings. It gave me a glimpse of the joy it would be to have more than one child (to this day, Sophie call Mary Mike her big-sister-cousin...they share the same birth date, as well). Then came Sophie feeding Annie...different apartment, different continent, hey, different side of the world...but the familiarity of the scene was as heart-warming as ever. Now, the tradition continues as Annie, no longer receiver of messy spoonfuls, but giver, takes on the mantle of nurturing the next one in line. This time same apartment, same kitchen, same high chair...only the players have changed. Continuity...

1 comments:

M&M's PLACE said...

Hey Aunt Boo,
Haven't seen you in a while. I mis s you BUNCHES and all the rest of the gang.I remember coming down those steps and getting to see Soph...wish I could still do that.I love those memories.Thank you for writing about me ...I feel so special.Just got back 2 weeks ago from a school trip.We went to Blue Ridge and had a great time with my mommy wink wink MY CHAPERONE. It was freezing and now when it is cold out here in Powder Springs , I say " It isn't as cold as Blue Ridge and it feels hot to me."
I love you so much and hope to see you soon. I read your blog about every day. LOVE READING IT.
Love,
Mikel-Michal